A very important anniversary.
You know, it’s been very quiet around here for reasons I will divulge another day but tonight I had the chance to look in on the blog and see what has been publishing (yes, much of the posts were done awhile ago when I had more free time and scheduled to post so there is regular content around these parts). Still I like to fill in around things and while I was watching The Pretenders video that went up earlier this week, I found myself looking up more old videos I have fond memories of.
And to that end I realized we are coming up on a very significant date...
The date is August 1st 1981 – 30 years on we may forget what the world was like in those days. Certainly there are many who can’t even begin to fathom how different a place the world was just three short decades ago.
No one had cell phones – if you wanted to make a call and you weren’t home you had to find a pay phone, you had better have some change and also you had better hope someone was home because answering machines were just starting to appear on the market (voicemail was a dream of some engineer’s).
There were no personal computers (don’t even imagine a laptop).
Internet? Yeah, it was there for a few Universities and for the Military but there wasn’t any web.
Cable? Some people had cable. Most people just had broadcast TV though and there wasn’t much in the way of 24 hours of entertainment.If you lived in New York you were lucky because you had a wealth of channels - 2 (WCBS), 4 (WNBC), 5 (WNEW - MetroMedia), 7 (WABC), 9 (WOR), 11 (WPIX) and 13 (WNET). Maybe you got some channels on UHF if you could manage to twist the antenna enough but if you were one of the fortunate you had gotten something that had come in and was starting to take hold in the last couple of years... cable.
And on August 1st, 1981 everything changed. Not just for TV either but, for radio and for music and it all started with this:
You know, it’s been very quiet around here for reasons I will divulge another day but tonight I had the chance to look in on the blog and see what has been publishing (yes, much of the posts were done awhile ago when I had more free time and scheduled to post so there is regular content around these parts). Still I like to fill in around things and while I was watching The Pretenders video that went up earlier this week, I found myself looking up more old videos I have fond memories of.
And to that end I realized we are coming up on a very significant date...
The date is August 1st 1981 – 30 years on we may forget what the world was like in those days. Certainly there are many who can’t even begin to fathom how different a place the world was just three short decades ago.
No one had cell phones – if you wanted to make a call and you weren’t home you had to find a pay phone, you had better have some change and also you had better hope someone was home because answering machines were just starting to appear on the market (voicemail was a dream of some engineer’s).
There were no personal computers (don’t even imagine a laptop).
Internet? Yeah, it was there for a few Universities and for the Military but there wasn’t any web.
Cable? Some people had cable. Most people just had broadcast TV though and there wasn’t much in the way of 24 hours of entertainment.If you lived in New York you were lucky because you had a wealth of channels - 2 (WCBS), 4 (WNBC), 5 (WNEW - MetroMedia), 7 (WABC), 9 (WOR), 11 (WPIX) and 13 (WNET). Maybe you got some channels on UHF if you could manage to twist the antenna enough but if you were one of the fortunate you had gotten something that had come in and was starting to take hold in the last couple of years... cable.
And on August 1st, 1981 everything changed. Not just for TV either but, for radio and for music and it all started with this:
No comments:
Post a Comment